The compliance date for the SEC's New Marketing Rule is November 4, 2022. With 1 year to go, ACA’s team of experts have put together a suggested preparation timeline guide to help firms prepare to implement the changes necessary to comply.
The Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) are a set of voluntary, ethical principles that guide investment firms on how to calculate and present their investment performance.
Firms across the industry are challenged not only by becoming GIPS compliant but also by maintaining such compliance. We can assist your firm with overcoming these challenges by helping build and improve upon your framework for compliance as well as by providing firm-wide verifications and performance examinations.
GIPS compliance by the numbers
According to the ACA and eVestment 2018 Manager and Consultant Survey:
Number of consultants
That expect to require alternative asset managers to comply with the GIPS standards
Number of consultants/investors
that believe more pension funds, foundations, endowments and other asset owners will claim compliance with the 2020 GIPS standards
Number of consultants/investors
that exclude managers from searches some or all of the time if they do not claim GIPS compliance
We assist firms with developing the roadmap and building the framework to claim GIPS compliance. Our pre-compliance consulting addresses:
- calculation methodologies
- policy and procedures development
- composite membership guidelines
- a thorough review of your marketing and advertising disclosures
Our independent verifications are designed to assess whether your firm is adhering to the GIPS standards. Our firm-wide verification services will confirm:
- Whether your firm has complied with all the composite-construction requirements of the GIPS standards on a firm-wide basis
- Whether your firm’s processes and procedures are designed to calculate and present performance results in compliance with the GIPS standards
Third-party verification brings credibility to the claim of compliance and supports the overall guiding principles of full disclosure and fair representation of investment performance. Many asset managers find that consultants and institutional investors require GIPS-compliant firms to be verified before moving forward in any searches.
We provide comprehensive, focused performance examinations of specific composite track records. Our examinations could include:
- Whether composite calculations are in compliance with the GIPS standards
- Whether the composite’s compliant presentation includes all of the required statistics and disclosures of the GIPS standards
A firm cannot claim that a particular composite has been examined unless a performance examination has been completed. A performance examination can only be conducted by a verifier after, or in conjunction with, a firm-wide verification.
Why claim GIPS compliance?
- Provides additional credibility in presenting performance numbers in the marketplace
- Reinforces existing client relationships and opens doors to consultants and potential clients
- Fosters comparability of investment results
- Often required in order to be considered for institutional mandates
- Demonstrates commitment to best practices and industry standards
- Facilitates a solid operational foundation for performance calculation and advertising
Our unique perspective is informed by our real-world experience, deep subject matter expertise, and extensive client network.
The SEC's New Marketing Rule compliance deadline is November 4, 2022 - closer than you think. In this article, we outline our implementation action plan.
The most common question we receive from our GIPS standards verification clients is “What do other firms do?” As a result of being asked this question many times, we gathered information from over 800 firms we verify in order to provide answers to commonly asked questions that are based on real data versus anecdotal information.
In this blog we will try to address how fund managers can overcome this fundraising hurdle, and some key misconceptions.
Recent Institutional RFP Mandates Requiring GIPS Compliance of Alternative Investment Managers and OCIOs
Each quarter, we provide our feedback on recent institutional mandates related to compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®); how those mandates ask about the calculation and presentation of performance; and insight into the demand for compliance with the GIPS standards and how that demand is evolving over time.
Compliance is Easier Than You Think: Claiming Compliance with 2020 GIPS® Standards for Alternative Investment Managers
ACA recently released a white paper series that covers those details managers need to know to claim compliance with the 2020 Global Investment Performance Standards. Join ACA for a webcast discussion to review how to claim compliance.